Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Twas the Season

Well friends, tis a glorious week in Ethiopia. Blogspot is working! I'm so overwhelmed with it all that I'm not quite sure what to write about. I suppose there's no harm in reencountering the last month of life on the Horn. Would you join me on the ride??

O Christmas.. my THIRD Christmas in Ethiopia! No snow, no fireplaces, no eggnog, sledding or hams... but we did surely have a tree, lights, gifts, Grinch and Elf marathon nights and cookies!

Sarah and I started a new tradition... African-themed hippo and elephant gingerbread cookies!

Sam and I got an amazing package from Hilo, Hawaii!! Mom and Dad! Well.. no.. they weren't in the package, but cute beachy dresses, flavored coffee and Converse were!

Me and the tree!

Our Ethiopian family!!!

My stocking surprise on Christmas Eve! "God Jul" = Merry Christmas in Swedish!
(Okay you must know....
Swedish Christmas = Dec 24,
American Christmas = Dec 25,
Ethiopian Christmas = January 6)

The absolute love of my life. Going to pack him up in a suitcase and bring him with me everywhere for the rest of my life!

Cutest thing you ever did see?

Then it was time for New Years. I must confess, we have quite a hard time staying up past 9:30 around here. But after a few pots of coffee, constellation gazing from our balcony and attacking our guard with oranges (don't ask)... 2011 rolled in over the mountains to the East. Happy 2011! Our New Years day was spent outreaching in a village. Bringing souls into the Kingdom of God is truly the best way to usher in a New Year!

Samuel and Ashagre... New Years dance in the village...

Upon more village adventures, we've discovered that boys are much better jumpers than girls...

...enough said...

This last week has been rough for the people of my city. The busiest area of Harar... full of markets with everything from second-hand clothing, chickens, tea sets and avocados... was burned down. Thousands of people have been displaced and lost their livelihood for years to come. Thankfully though, the fire which was started in the middle of the night, burned out directly before it touched our Harar Church of Joy! Since then, riots, fighting and even gun shots have broken out in this area.. please continue to pray for Harar with us!


That's all folks... have a blessed Wednesday wherever you are in the world!





1 comment:

  1. It brings me such joy reading about your life! As I read your blog during my lunch break at work, I am free to drift away to foreign lands and dream of the nations and to hear God's heart beat for them. Thank you, and love you girl!

    ReplyDelete