Monday, August 8, 2011

[Modern] Bona Ceremony

I found an espresso machine at a 2nd-hand shop last week. But [like popping a child's balloon] when I got it home we realized there was a part missing. So it sat for a few days on our counter... unused, unloved and neglected. We hoped to find it's missing puzzle piece at another 2nd-hand shop and asked our friend Samuel to keep an eye out for us. Well, he found a new puzzle :) A bigger, better, steamy, sleek new little member of the family. Thanks Samuel and Lotta!

And to top it all off... our new espresso-blend is Ethiopian Harar. We've been living in Harar, Ethiopia and it's famous for it's rich and super strong coffee beans! Now we get to have our own [modern] bona ceremonies :) I'm a happy girl.

This picture is from a traditional bona ceremony (bona means "coffee" in Amerinja) with one of my disciples Adrianna :) It's a tedious process that begins with roasting your beans, grinding them by hand, boiling them in these clay pots and then letting the super-duper strong brew drip from high above sugar-filled tea cups. If you make your way to Ethiopia any time soon... make sure you have the opportunity to settle in on someone's floor for this experience - even if you don't drink coffee! Otherwise, I can fix it for you here in Scandinavia! I'm Ethiopian on the inside :)

1 comment:

  1. If I could go either place, oh, I'd love it. I love coffee. Tonight, I toasted Hebrew National hot dog with smoked cheese. Very good.

    ReplyDelete