Saturday, June 27, 2009

"mmm hmm"

So.. I'm studying Swedish and the further along I get.. the more and more I'm finding the English-American language to be crazy confusing and silly. Yet somehow, we all understand each other. How does that happen?? For example..

"mmm hmmm" - yes
"hmm mmm" - no
"hmm" - either "ok, I see" or "what?"
"huh" - "yes, continue" or "what?"
"there's a whole nother world out there" - nother?? what is that?
"that's a beast" - either means it's really awesome or really terrible
"how are you?" - usually just a way of saying "hi" as we keep walking, we really don't want a genuine answer
"he's gonna get wrecked(blasted)" - that's good if you're in church, bad otherwise
"zilch" - nothing
"buggy" - shopping cart
"chick flick" - girlie, romantic movie
"gee" - "wow"
"gee whiz" - "wow" for the older generation
"whiz" - a really smart person
"man" - a male or a term of disappointment
"dude" -  male or "wow"
"word" - something made with vowels and consonants or a way of saying "I agree"



These are just a few I've thought of.. I'll keep you posted as they keep coming!

2 comments:

  1. Hi gaby!
    Glad I´m swedish. Hu mår du i dag?
    That´s a lot easier to understand or?
    We love you och are waiting to see you again, god bless you
    Ingabritt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gabbi!

    Vad roligt att du pluggar svenska! Aron still talks about you- he says "Babbi"!
    God bless,
    //Rebeckha

    ReplyDelete