Sunday, January 24, 2010

Bona Ceremony

We had a fabulous time celebrating (our fifth) Christmas last night with the entire family! Grandma, Great Grandma, uncles, aunts, cousins... mmm.. warms my heart. Samuel and I were able to share so much about our home in Ethiopia... food, bugs, hyenas, the base, Church of Joy, our Bible students, languages...

At the end of the evening I decided to prepare a cultural BONA CEREMONY - famous roasted coffee beans prepared from scratch. Dad helped me prepare a small fire in the house, I sizzled the fresh green clusters of delight, smashed them in a wooden container and then boiled them in the famous clay coffee pot of Ethiopia. I don't understand how the girls of Africa do this with such grace... I almost burned the house down! Hilarious! Despite our thick lungs and foggy vision, the bona itself was a big hit. Mmmm good times with the whole family!


Daddy to the rescue... imagine smoke like this, filling the entire house of people... gah!

This morning we were at Victory Christian Center! How refreshing it was to see our church family. I feel like a sponge... absorbing everything I can while I'm here. Pastor Thomas and Kathie are amazing!

Samuel is booking our room for NYC this afternoon. We're leaving before the sun arrives tomorrow morning. Finally our late honeymoon :) We just want to walk through time square, empire state building, carriage ride through central park, fika... mmmmm... I love to be with my best friend. Jag alskar dig!

5 comments:

  1. hahahah Burn the house down :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog was amazing Gabby, you really are something special. I want to be a string woman of God like you! I still have a small donation I want to give you!
    Love, Kimberly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...Mom told the story a little differently....

    ReplyDelete