Thursday, September 9, 2010

Hyena Man!

I sat on the street this morning… talking to lots of random people, asking as many as I could find to come to our women’s house church tonight. Usually we gather at Selam’s house in Bote but today we decided to gather at another disciple’s house out on the outskirts of the old city, Jugul. The “old city” is a walled-in section of Harar about 1 ½ sq kilometers. Within it’s walls you will find 99 mosques. Yes 99 within that little circumference of land! It’s sick! Not to mention the fact that we’re right smack dab in the middle of Ramadan… the Muslims annual time of fasting where many will gather for times of prayer in the specific “holy” places where the prophet Mohammed once dwelt. Harar is one of those places.

Nonetheless, Selam and I set out in the early afternoon in hopes of gathering our disciples and new friends to the meeting. On our list of prospective members we had: a prostitute, homeless, orphan, sinners and saved girls of all ages…. It was going to be a great night! Along the streets though, and when we finally gathered together on that dirt floor, no one showed up. My heart sank a little. I tried so hard. Except for one of her neighbor guys who sat silent on the floor next to me chewing on drugs, it was just the three of us women. God, what are You going to do tonight?


Almost on cue… As the coffee boiled on the fire between us and I passed around the bread I baked earlier in the day, a big man came through the door and lunged himself onto the bed. He was bulging with muscle and wore thick silver chains around his neck and wrists and big gold rings on his fingers. He carried a huge bag of kat with him too, obviously planning to sit in on our meeting while chewing himself into intoxication. Oh no, I thought instinctively. It usually isn’t a good sign when big powerful men come in and start stirring up conversations with a bunch of women. The first several moments were fine, he told stories of his life as the hyena man – where he takes teams of (usually) foreigners (but all the Ethiopians knows him anyway) out back and personally calls his hyena friends by name. Then he lies down and begins to feed them strings of raw meat through a stick in his mouth or just by hand as they crawl up on his lap! Amazing. Then he started to argue for a few minutes with Selam… his beliefs against ours. You see he has been a religious Orthodox follower for a very long time. I believe there can be many Orthodox people around the world who genuinely have a deep love and relationship with God, but here in Ethiopia it’s a bit different. Here it is a powerful idol-worshipping religion that preaches against us “Pentes” (Pentecostals). An Orthodox person is more afraid of a member turning to a living relationship with God rather than that person converting to Islamism. As missionaries on the Horn of Africa we usually find ourselves standing between these two extremes…. The Muslims and the Orthodox. And simply put, neither one likes what we’re preaching at all. However, before I could contemplate what was going on, God was swinging huge doors open before my face!


“What’s the difference between all the religions of the world?” He asked me. “Everyone from every religion thinks that their path will lead them to God or to a good after-life,” I replied, “but the Bible says that the only way to the Father in heaven is through JESUS. And He has nothing to do with religion. He’s a Father and He longs for relationship.” There were many moments when I just couldn’t get my thoughts or my words to match up, I don’t know what I’m saying right now…there were so many distractions and his mobile kept ringing. Suddenly though, he shouted through the line “I’m in an important program right now.. I can’t talk!” I love moments like that! Now this man’s eyes were glued to me. He was drawing the living water out from somewhere deep within my spirit. I couldn’t get it out fast enough! Finally I asked, “Do you want to receive Jesus?” and with big red eyes beaming through to me without a blink, he nodded his head. He confessed his sins and proclaimed Jesus as the Lord and Savior of his life!


The moment we said “Amen” and he opened his eyes again, there was something different in them. He still held the bag of leaves in his hand but his eyes were shining life.This muscular man the size of a professional American football player had sparkling eyes! “You are a new man!” I shouted. Haha! He couldn’t say anything, just grinned and starred on for more. It was time for Holy Spirit. “Jesus has equipped you for life, now you must be filled up with the power of His Spirit so that you will be ready to live on this earth.” I literally was shaking all over my body when I laid my hands on him the second time. I couldn’t stop but I didn’t care. The power of God was filling him up like a lightning bolt, and I felt it as a witness!


This man is a key person. I’ve been praying for key people – the ones that know everyone, the ones everyone knows, the ones who will reach entire regions with the gospel in ways that we couldn’t do. Prophetic pictures and words keep floating through my mind over this man and his destiny… I’m burning on the inside.


After 2 hours, we went out back so I could meet his friends. The hyenas. I’ve fed them before – with the other hyena man – but this was by far the greatest experience yet! I got down on a small tarp with a basket of meat in my lap as the enormous ugly beasts surrounded me from all sides. Every few seconds when the lightning flashed I could see just how far back the pack went. You have no idea what you’re up against in the dark! It’s so fun to adventure in spirit and life with Jesus.



I walked away from that place in the rain, still shaking, though from the transformation of that man or from the adrenalin of feeding wild African beasts, I may never know... but I imagine it was the hangover of God’s gospel and His powerful Spirit. The man’s name is Muloguita – directly translated meaning, FULL GOD. My heart will be smiling tonight as I drift away to dream. Thanks Jesus.

What are You up to tomorrow??


On the way home after meeting up with Samuel, we found a body lying in the middle of the road. It was still raining and completely black out because there was no electricity but we saw him from the headlights of all the minibuses and Bajaj’s that were passing him by. Someone took the time to place a brickin front of him to try to stop a car from running him over... but no one cared to help. I thought he was dead. There were tables of people drinking and eating on the sidewalk just one yard away... he was just their entertainment. They were all taking pictures of his body with their camera phones.


Samuel got so angry and asked someone to help him carry the man to safety. He was breathing but had blood all over his face.The people just laughed. Then he yelled at them and said in Amerinja "what kindof people are you??" I love when he stands up in holy indignation! So the two of us dragged him off the street while dozens of people videotaped us with their mobiles. I was shocked. The man was homeless and drunk and soaking from the rain. Who can leave a person to die in the middle of the street??? It's insane! We got him to some police and they said that they would take care of him. I hope they really did.This just proves that our work here is never finished. Even after an incredible night... the work must go on. People need transformed.


I felt like I was walking out the story of the good Samaritan. People of the Islamic, Orthodox and Atheist religions felt like they didn’t need to do anything. But God is love. I’m desperate on that.


“For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now I will arise,” says the Lord, “I will set him in the safety for which he yearns.” –Psalm 12:5


“The Lord will also be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. And those who know Your name will put their trust in You; for You Lord have not forsaken those who seek You.” –Psalm 9:9-10

1 comment:

  1. Gabrielle, Your words inspire me to step out and take risk with Holy Spirit! Thank you

    ReplyDelete