Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Adventure

Two weeks. Just two weeks before my surroundings will change again. My heart is fluttering madly in my chest. My beat-up suitcase will be stuffed with everything I own... just a stack clothes and books... and I'll make my way to the place I've fallen in love with. South Asia. My husband and I don't know what lies ahead. We have no home, no vehicle, no idea about the future except this one thing... we are madly in love with the Creator of the world who sent His Son Jesus to die for human-kind. His love is so rich and so deep, powerful and vast yet all at the same time, intimate and personal. The encounter we have had with this God real and wonderful and all we can do is share that with those who have never heard. It's a wild, radical adventure!


Standing in Africa by my suitcase in the middle of the night... life of adventure!
Christianity is not nice and neat; it's not clean and tidy. Christianity should be about snot and tears, laugh lines, sweat and bruises. What do you picture with the word adventure anyway? Does it sound like pews, vests and bowties on a Sunday morning with the New Testament under your right arm? No thanks.

Adventure is an unusual and exciting, typically hazardous experience or activity. It is the exploration of unknown territory. Adventure is dirty. It requires the use of all your senses, emotions, mind, soul and heart. Snot and tears quickly become familiar territory to adventurists, not as signs of weakness but rather the manifestation of God’s heart and the evidence of our intercession. Snot and tears speak of strong spiritual biceps and a craving to indulge in action! Snot and tears, sweat and bruises are simple evidences of a region and a people group being changed. Even Jesus Himself, when He walked the earth 2000 years ago, bore these signs on his body. He was a man of adventure… walking on water, healing blind eyes, raising the dead, praying so hard that blood came from His pores, transforming entire regions and crowds. We are made in His likeness. We are designed for adventure.


“To make your life small when it could be great is sin.” - Mari Cartledge

“A small life is a self-centered life.” -David Thomas

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! Thank you Gabby for inspiring me and so properly depicting the heart of our Father!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the coolest thing I have ever heard anyone say is "when we got married all he promised me was a sleeping bag and an adventure"

    If God had more people like you the job would get done quicker.

    ReplyDelete