Saturday, August 18, 2012

A few lines



The first thing to greet me when we entered our new Indian home-land was a thick, steamy wall of humidity outside the airport. I still haven't stopped sweating... literally. constantly. wet. 

Outside our window is a garbage pile from the neighboring slum... it is always full of children and wild pigs and cows... actually every street in this country is full of cows! 


Our first meal was a spicy dish of chow mien that we ate standing up on the street with a bazillion flies swarming us from all directions. It was delicious.

Yesterday we took the Delhi metro that is built up over the city for a beautiful view of rooftop gardens... we traveled for over an hour.. it only cost one dollar for the trip. 

Took a rickshaw ride alongside a mountainous land-fill of endless garbage... it was also full of "untouchables" rummaging through for food and treasures. Longing for garbage pile outreaches. 

Took another rickshaw ride last night and almost crashed several times. There were only centimeters between us and other cars and motorbikes and people and bikes and boys in rollerblades and beggars... and everyone moving at high speeds. Scary traffic. You risk your life just crossing the street here.

Peace immediately floods my soul when I enter into God's presence. It's a peace that doesn't make sense in my surroundings. A peace that says God's going to take care of everything... there is no other option. 

Psalm 138:3 - On the day I called, You answered me; You made me bold with strength in my soul.

Psalm 139:5 - You have enclosed me behind and before, and laid Your hand upon me.

Scenes of the land my heart loves...

1 comment:

  1. You are so blessed and a blessing. I can hear the love in your post.

    ReplyDelete