Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Girlie stuff

I got a package in the mail yesterday.. from my Joelle!

Everyone in the team got candy.. and although Sam and I contemplated keeping it all for ourselves (come on.. they don't have Reeses or Hersheys in Ethiopia OR Sweden!).. we passed it out faithfully :)

I got cheese!! Ethiopia, well pretty much all of Africa and Asia, is without cheese.
Gah!! I'm hearing so many cheesy recipes calling me name...
(I'm so typical American right now..)
Thanks Joelle!!!

You know the feeling you get when you spread a new shade of polish across your toes and it somehow sends a smile to your heart and a swing to your hips?? Or when you smack your lips together after shining them up with a fruity gloss.. mmm so good. I guess I've kinda had some of those moments lately.. thanks to my mama and sis' packages :) When you live in Africa, it's easy to start feeling like a sweaty dust puddle at times. Come on.. my heart beats just thinking about this incredible land.. but I'm still a girl! Someone once told me.. "you're actually stylish for being a missionary.." uuhh yea..

My sweet husband took me shopping too. I got the cutest denim skirt full of pockets and buttons.. perfect for our dress code on the Horn!

On Sunday we rummaged through the second-hand market. You know all those clothes people in USA and Europe send to the poor in Africa... well most of them end up in a dark, tarp-walled market and then we buy them! Ironic I know. It's a great place though to find old things that can be destroyed out here in the desserts of dust and so much cheaper than trying to drag a bunch of stuff over from the west ourselves. We also find incredible top-name, hardly even touched, expensive brands from Sweden... Sam is the king of finding hot skinny Nudie jeans...

Here's a cute t-shirt dress with gold beading from a boutique in Italy... for 2 dollars!

.. and Sam sportin my new olive green jacket... for 2 dollars!

It IS possible to be a cute missionary!

Tack Älskling!

No comments:

Post a Comment